Global cases: More than 278,000
Global deaths: At least 11,570
US deaths: At least 250
– Stimulus package could top $2 trillion as negotiators look to clear final major hurdles.
– There are 10,356 confirmed coronavirus cases across New York, governor says.
– New York needs medical gowns and is searching for more.
– Egypt announces the closure of all mosques for 2 weeks.
– United Kingdom urges shoppers to stop panic buying.
– In strategic shift, doctors in America’s two largest cities are told to skip some coronavirus testing.
*Information gathered from CNN’s Live Updates coverage.
– The May 26 primary election runoffs will be delayed until July in response to the growing outbreak of the new coronavirus in Texas under an order signed Friday by Gov. Greg Abbott.
– In an effort to protect their staff and patients from COVID-19 during a time when people are being encouraged to stay 6 feet away from each other, health care providers across the state have postponed check-ups, elective surgeries and other non-urgent medical appointments that must be conducted in person.
– Small businesses battered by the novel coronavirus pandemic sweeping through Texas can apply for long-term, low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Friday.
– Texas restaurant owners say they could ride out the new coronavirus’ social slowdown for months if the state waived, delayed or deferred Friday’s deadline to pay sales taxes from last month. But Comptroller Glenn Hegar said the state won’t push back the deadline because, most importantly, the state and local governments that depend on those taxes to keep hospitals and emergency services going need the money as they prepare for the number of Texans testing positive to skyrocket within weeks.
– In Texas, at least 212 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and five people have died, according to the latest numbers provided Thursday by the Texas Department of State Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
*Information gathered from The Texas Tribune’s Live Blog coverage.